Tuesday, November 6, 2007

responding

Sometimes, stepping outside overwhelms me. When I tell people that, they'll nod and be like "yeah, ok cool." No. You don't understand. I'm not even talking about stepping outside and viewing a mountain vista or a waterfall. Sometimes when I just step outside after class, the weight of nature almost crushes me. I'm a very sensory oriented person, and sometimes nature overloads all five of them. At moments like this, I have to pause and collect myself. It's not enough to shrug it off and keep walking. I actually have to stop and take a deep breath and be in awe, once again, of God's creativity and bigness. I have to respond in some way to His creation. If I had my way, I would put my stuff down and start jumping and spinning around and singing nonsense words in adoration and praise, but the goal here is not really to make people think Christians are lunatics. But something has to be done. He deserves it-with creation, He demands it! How creative is He? He thought up matter and dimensions and time and space first of all, which is a pretty big deal, but on top of that, He created taste buds and soundwaves and texture and every shade of the color red. We don't strictly need any of those things, He's just super artistic and wants to bring pleasure to the crown of His creation. We are for Him, and nature is for us. Isn't that overwhelming?

No comments: